Subject: Franco Tagliavini (was: Sirius 'Norma' Question)
From: "Paul C. Brynan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:29:12 -0500

I saw a couple of Met NORMAs with Sutherland and Franco Tagliavini,
although I can’t remember almost 50 years later whether the broadcast was
one of them.  He also sang NORMA with Sutherland at Covent Garden.  He
was a good tenor, of the second rank then (due to the competition of bigger
names), who would probably be much in demand today.  In addition to his
vocal and musical merits he was tall and good-looking.  Sutherland liked
him:  “I loved singing with this fine tenor, who towered over me.”  I also saw
him in several other roles at the Met in the early 1970s, including VESPRI
with Deutekom.  He recorded a studio disc of MEFISTOFELE highlights for
Decca/London with the young Ghiaurov.  Tagliavini is in the casts of several
live/pirated recordings:  A Scala MACBETH led by Abbado with
Cappuccilli/Verrett/Ghiaurov; a Maggio Musicale MARIA STUARDA, led by
Molinari-Pradelli with Gencer/Verrett, and there’s more out there.