Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Peter Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Nov 2017 23:05:15 -0500

I agree we're done, and since this is my third post on the topic I'll plead extra-guilty. I only post again now to ask, pace Tina Turner, what do facts have to do with it? It's love that has everything to do with it. Our shared love of opera, our pleasures, respectable, guilty, and other. Even the posters who have dissed Turandot love it in some way (you know you do; I do!).

When the lowbrow posters like me are interspersed with posts about the merits of the various endings (Alfano abridged, Alfano complete, Berio) and references to "bare fifths" (you had me at fifths), you can't say there's no real content to the posts.

But I pledge not to post again on this topic. It's pretty much mined out until the next go-round.

P.S. -- Just saw this from R. Prada re "Nessun dorma," and lest I be tempted to post again, let me say "amen": Naturally, the aria in its proper setting is fine, it is when we hear it over and over as a vehicle for people outside of its setting that it becomes, to me, annoying. And as another poster added, the same for "O mio babbino caro."