Subject: Re: Calaf the Hero (Was Re: Turandot)
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Nov 2017 18:12:41 -0500

See, none of the above criticisms are the things that bother me about
Calaf.
Yes, I think he's an opportunist and a very smart one (dumb? not he!)

What drives me bonkers is the fact that he is actually so narcissistic that he
is still willing to marry a truly mean-spirited lady who allows her power
over Liu to destroy that human being, and never even feel contrite about
what she wrought through her selfishness.  (I mean, wouldn't you think
that after what happened to her in her past by a man that she'd have a
special sympathy and understanding for another woman's plight?  But no!
And this is a lady Calaf STILL wans as his mate?

And that's the part that goads me.  His passion for power and of
conquering a beautiful woman despite her bitchiness shows his true colors
-- and they ain't pretty!

Frankly, it worked out exactly as it should -- the two of them deserve each
other!
(and we get to hear all that gorgeous music)
It's a win-win situation!