Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:54:26 -0500

Calaf sends Liu and Timur away immediately after solving the riddles.  DUH!
He is aware that they may be in danger associating with him;  he even
cautions them in act I to be very careful because they are still being
hunted.

And he offers Turandot another chance because he isn't thinking with his
other bodily site but with his heart:  her distress touches him and so he
offers her the same sort of riddle she asked of others, but with a totally
opposite result (marriage rather than beheading).

And as Max Winter writes, Calaf certainly isn't polishing his nails while
Liu is being interrogated.  He's being held by guards who have weapons.

I think you bring some prejudices to the opera house when (and if) you see
Turandot.