Subject: Sirius 'Norma' Question
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Nov 2017 15:18:07 -0500

I was listening to a Sirius 'Met' broadcast of 'Norma' yesterday with
Sutherland and Horne from 1970, and expected to hear Bergonzi, since I have
a distinct memory of recording that year's broadcast of the opera with him
on an old reel to reel tape recorder (and him singing two verses of the
cabaletta).  It was Sutherland's first NY 'Norma', if memory serves.  In any
event, the tenor was certainly not Bergonzi, and most curiously, no
identification of any cast members was made beyond Sutherland and Horne.
Can anyone explain this?  The tenor was actually rather good.

I was struck, as many people are, by how much Sutherland lost artistically
in only performing with Bonynge.  His ability to trivialize music was
prodigious, and his fast, jumpy tempi deprived his wife of any ability to
create and sustain a long and settled legato line, which she was certainly
very capable of doing.  I had the feeling the house was not impressed
either.  Either Bonynge or somebody composed a kind of concert ending for
'Casta Diva' to make room for the presumed ovation that would follow, except
that one didn't.  The audience was quite tepid in their response, I thought.
 (They liked rather more that suspended high D she always did.)

If anyone else heard this broadcast I'd be anxious to know what the
circumstances were.

Thanks.

David Kubiak