Subject: Re: Die Walküre Chicago, Civic Opera House 1 November 2017
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Nov 2017 11:50:11 -0500

Since I hated just about everything in this production except Jovanovich
I'll attempt a defense.  He is one of the few singers I have encountered who
has managed to beef up without screwing up his sound.  His two 'Wälse's and
the final A of the first act were very impressive indeed, and he sang the
lyrical parts with great sensitivity and emotion (all the while revoltingly
pawing Sieglinde, which you can't blame him for).

I had several private messages about my original review- post, and regret
that I lost several before I could respond.  But I would like to make one
point about the fact that the Chicago reviews of this production were all
very positive.  In the day, Claudia Cassidy sometimes had malevolent
intentions in her reviews, but at least there were things she didn't like
and said as much.  Today the 'Tribune' suffers not only from the fact that
John van Rhein knows nothing about music, but from a larger problem related
to Chicago's Second City complex.  The arts are now seen as part of civic
pride, and every concert or opera performance must be praised extravagantly
in an effort to show how great Chicago is.  To do otherwise is to betray the
city.  As this attitude was taking hold, Ravinia has been turned into a
pop/rock festival, and vocal recitals downtown are a thing of the past, when
I remember Fi-Di filling the huge Auditorium Theater to the last seat for
the 'Schöne Müllerin'.  One last depressing thought about serious music in
Chicago.  I had a phone call from the Lyric yesterday offering to sell me
any seat for the rest of the season at 60% off.

David Kubiak

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 19:36:19 -0500, Jay & Ralph <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am listening to Die Walküre Chicago 11-01-2017I have been a fan of
Brandon Jovanovich