Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Nov 2017 11:08:49 -0500

"I've always felt Toscanini, while claiming to pay respect to Puccini, seemed
at least as interested in sabotaging the work of the composer he had no
respect for and didn't choose..."
I am totally confused Paul.
I just finished reading the new "Toscanini" book and was enthralled with it.
However, unlike your assessment of of Tosci's opinion of Puccini, I picture
an entirely different scenario.
Yes it is true that he was angry with Puccini for his "Trittico"(Jan. 1919)
and remarked "why do you want to set it? The drama isn't worthy of
you...." (p.322)which infuriated Puccini and they had a temporary falling
out over it.
But reading further, it seems to me that there was a real affection between
the two of them and 4 years later they reconciled over "Turandot .
So stricken was Toscanini while he was in the middle of a rehearsal on Nov.
29, 1924, at hearing the news of Puccini's death, that "he dropped his
baton, ran to his dressing room, threw himself face down on the sofa, ...
and broke into tears."(p. 396)
To say he was disappointed in Puccini and disrespected him for
his "Trittico" writing is one thing, but to me it seemed much more like they
were brothers and both had a deep and meaningful affection for one
another.