Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Sue Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Nov 2017 04:04:41 +0000

 No, you aren't the only one Nessun dorma-ed out. It has already been bastardized too often even by the 3 tenors who sang it best in their collective time. YouTube is full of tenors who shouldn't be caught singing Nessun dorma in that voice or with that orchestra/accompaniment or in that acoustic setting or badly filmed by those amateurs or . . . or . . . or . . . with none of them giving us the magic of Puccini's aria at its best. That Marcello Giordani approached it with visible fear in the 1st Live in HD presentation of Turandot made his listeners nearly as nervous as he was. That a recent cover bleated it out into amateur sonic pick-up in a demo reel of his repertoire did nothing to enhance his chances of fortuitous casting. Perhaps the only one who might be forgiven for messing with Nessun dorma is Jonas Kaufmann whose Puccini concert performance on film included his losing his place in the singing of it. That even Bryan Hymel was filmed singing it abysmally with a small inept European onstage orchestra did him no favors.
What say we give it a rest until several advisors and the singer himself agree he'll probably deliver the goods and *then* start recording with professional equipment? All in favor. say 'aye.'
Sue HarrisonDallas, TX