Subject: Re: Turandot
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 2017 20:13:06 -0500

For some reason this subject has entirely disappeared from my
Inbox today.  After reading numerous postings on the same subject,
I want to reaffirm what I said earlier: I still think Toscanini was right
about the excesses of Alfano's dutiful completion; perhaps no one
would have done better with what the composer left unfinished , but
the conductor, I insist, was more attuned to Puccini's instinct for
knowing when enough was enough.

I have as fond memories of Birgit Nilsson "live" at the Met as any
one could, but great as she was as Turandot, Ingrid Bjoner, whose
Norwegian trumpet easily matched that of the Swede, note for note,
added a layer of warmth that succeeded in humanizing our icy princess
to a sumptuous and satisfying degree, once with Corelli, and again with
McCracken, as Calaf.

dtmk