Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 2017 18:56:33 -0500

I'm a Turandot junkie of sorts and will respond by saying that your
description doesn't have to be the way the opera plays out.  It's
conventional to have bland characters but I was lucky enough to see a
production in Liege in which the flat characters became three dimensional,
there was never ever any doubt that Calaf cared, and cared deeply, about
Liu, that no one expected Liu to kill herself (she did so by throwing
herself on Turandot's sword) and everyone reacted in horror at Liu's death,
including Turandot who ended up doing a full Lady MacBeth with the wiping of
the hands.  Calaf was opening sobbing as he cradled the body as he grieved
with his father.  Beautifully done.

Now, to get around the abrupt change in temperature on the stage, as all of
them mourned Liu, Puccini arrives on stage.  Turandot and Calaf both help
Liu to her feet as Puccini takes her place prone on the stage and characters
from all of Puccini's operas join Calaf, Turandot, and Liu in mourning the
loss of the maestro (and the sadness of not having a finished opera).

Not without controversy, of course, but that moment when Puccini arrives,
then dies, then is mourned not only by the Turandot cast but by all his
major characters (as well as select representatives from the stage hands)
had a tremendous impact on the audience.  It was emotionally impactful, if a
little bit on the cheat side.....