Subject: Re: Fwd: Opera in the "wrong language" ( was Verdi's Macbeth)
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Nov 2017 12:00:03 -0600

I also remember the Boris's in English.  Also one opening night George
London and Lucine Amara sang Eugene Onegin in English.  I think Tucker was
also in it.  Many years ago, I had a buddy in Tenafly, NJ where we lived
whose father worked in the classical division of RCA records.  He would
bring me many things on 45rpm discs.  One of those was a Rigoletto in
German although I cannot remember any of the singers.  He also had the
third act of Meistersinger on 45s as well as the first act of Walkure with
Melchoir and Lehmann on 45s.  Darned if I can remember what I did with all
of those discs..
dond

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.