Subject: Re: Dialogues des Carmélites : A Brief Observation
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Nov 2017 18:04:41 -0500

A not too long note-

I agree with the many posts in praise of the
opera, and especially the final scene, which
was a carthartic exprience for me when I saw
it during its Met primiere season.

it is, simply put, a magnificent work, but it
does not work unless it is presented well,
which the Dexter production did exceedingly
well in 1977. I had seen it earlier in a NYCO
production and it went for nothing. I knew
the opera from the wonderful EMI recording
with Crespin, Gorr, Duval et al under Dervaux,
but, I hardly recognized it as the same opera!

Which is to say that it needs a first rate cast,
and perhaps a first rate production, to work.
And that, it had, at the Met! I shall never
forget Crespin, especially, or the final scene. It
was overwhelming!

Poulenc, btw, may be the most immediately
recognizable composer ever. You can identify
his music in ...?...notes, not many! ;-)

Bob