Subject: Turandot
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Nov 2017 06:39:36 -0500

Am a bit surprised that there's only been 1 mention of this superb Puccini
offering, and that one only dealt with Antonenko's inability to finish the
opera due to illness.

I saw it on Saturday and when the curtain first parted the audience actually
gave out a gasp and then loud applause at the stunning staging a la
Zeffirelli.  That man may have been over-the-top to some but to me his
stagings were nothing short of magic.  I yearn for his singular talents again.

The singers were in good form with Oksana Dyka as the Ice Princess,
Aleksandrs Antonenko as an unusually sensitive Calaf as he commiserated
warmly with the plain folk and showed more caring of his father and Liu
than I have ever seen before (thanks to the fine direction by David
Kneuss), James Morris who has found the best role for him these days in
Timur, and an outstanding Maria Agresta as Liu.

There is something about this opera, with its dazzle, that charms me every
time, but this particular production was the best I've ever seen.

It's a masterpiece and I've often mused upon how the ending would have
been had Puccini lived to finish it.