Subject: Re: Dialogues des Carmélites : A Brief Observation
From: Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Nov 2017 20:02:59 -0500

I have never see or heard a complete Dialogues but listened to a broadcast during the last act. The music of the nuns being executed was so frightening I could scarcely bear it. I'm sure that all who post are correct. That it is a monumental work. But I am not able to handle it with my heart condition. I do realize that opera is loaded with violence and cruelty. Not everything is Barber of Seville. Even Hansel and Gretel has moment of mayhem.  But Poulenc is so graphic in his portrayal of decapitation. It's just too much for me.