Subject: Re: Dialogues des Carmélites : A Brief Observation
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Nov 2017 17:18:30 -0600

Paul:
   You are SO right!  Poulenc's "Les Dialogues des Carmelites" is a masterpiece and it demands the greatest artists available.  In my humble opinion, it stands as the greatest opera of the second part of the 20th century.  I know (offhand) of no other opera that has seized it's place in the repertoire as has this one.  I do not listen to this opera all that often because it find the experience so overpowering, so overwhelming, and so vaulting - that I need time to recoup from it.  I own a DVD copy of the Met/Dexter production starring Jessye Norman and Regine Crespin and I feel fortunate to have it.
I also have the DVD of the Australian production with Joan Sutherland as Madame Lidoine, which I consider one of the greatest and most dramatic performances of her entire career (and we all know that she didn't produce many performances like this, which took place relatively late in her career).
The opera is riveting from start to finish, and (for me), Poulenc, had he written nothing else, stands as one of the greatest composers of the 20th century.
   I find this opera a miracle.  It merits every great artist who has participated in performances of it.