Subject: Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Nov 2017 17:56:13 -0500

Donald Kane wrote:

"...that when a TROVATORE, SALOME, or TURANDOT ends, we are not left with a
nasty taste in our mouths.  Well I'M NOT."

After "Salome?"  Well, I AM.  In fact, if one doesn't have a nasty taste in one's mouth when
"Salome ends, the performance hasn't been good one.

One opera that leaves me feeling like I need a shower to wash off the filth, is "Lulu."  I find its
unremitting and devastating look at the seamiest, irredeemably worst side of human nature
hard to take and certainly very unpleasant.  I recognize that the opera is a great one, a work
of genius.  But I don't particularly want to see it.  Life is too short, and there is so much other
stuff I want to fill my brain with.

MDW