Subject: Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Nov 2017 10:30:37 -0500

And, "hateful vengeance" (the intriguing phrase used by Mr. Kane - is vengeance ever not
hateful??) is everywhere in opera plots. And it's certainly no less valid or thrilling in
Sweeney as a plot device than it is in any standard opera.

I can't think of any overt cannibalism in opera to this point (perhaps someone should try
to musicalize the Donner Party story someday? lol), save for a reference to wishful self-
cannibalism in the Gluttony scene in Mahagonny. But of course even before Sweeney
there was Rocky Horror (the cult film and its staged predecessor), where a plot point
about "Meat Loaf" (at least in the film, as the delivery boy/biker dude literally turned into
dinner is played by that iconic rockster) is just as darkly comic as Sweeney's "A Little
Priest."

Not to mention that the legend of Sweeney Todd was around for more than a century
before Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler did their adaptation - they were hardly the first to do
some sort of adaptation of it, though certainly theirs has made the most impact in our
day. But of course we have our share of posters out here who seem to abhor anything
that approaches recent successful artistic *popular* culture, and I bet that's the real
objection. I'm imagining that if some famous 19th century European opera composer had
done a successful operatic treatment of the story (or of, say, Titus Andronicus, or the
Donner Party etc), Mr. Kane might have loved it. You might even say he would have - gulp
- eaten it up...;-)

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 11:05:18 -0600, Ombrarecds <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Opera plots in general, Salome, Turandot, Macbeth, Trovatore, Anna Bolena, all lovely
little tales.

>Patrick Byrne
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 5, 2017, at 10:45 AM, Evan Gamsu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> If the criteria for finding a work attractive is based on its subject matter, I fear you've
just ruled out most of the popular canon. Anybody skip a good Ring Cycle over fratricide,
greed, vengeance,  or incest lately?