Subject: Re: Sondheim (was Halloween)
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Nov 2017 04:33:25 +0000

Judging by how long they ran on Broadway, Sondheim's two most popular
works are A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and Into the
Woods. Sondheim fans will disagree on which are his greatest works; to
my mind, his musicals have not always been well-served by their original
productions, and have often fared better in revival. The original
production of Sweeney Todd, for instance, did not benefit by being
housed in the Uris/Gershwin theater, a cavernous barn that, like
Cinerama, is only suitable for displaying snakes or funerals.

I believe Sondheim is easily the greatest Broadway composer of the last
sixty years, and certainly the most ambitious. It's hard to imagine
Broadway history without him; aside from his own compositions, he also
contributed the lyrics to two of the most important musicals of the
fifties/sixties.

I also don't know what Mr. Wilson means by "unattractive." Certainly
parts of Sweeney Todd are not "pleasant," but deliberately so. His works
are more "difficult" than those of many other Broadway composers; if one
is looking for nothing but pretty songs and pretty pictures, one will
leave disappointed.