Subject: Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Nov 2017 21:57:15 -0400

I have to wonder what Mr. Wilson finds "unattractive" about the score of Sweeney Todd, but
assume he would probably not find the rest of Mr. Sondheim's ouevre to be to his liking
either, as the composer has a style that, to these ears at least, is instantly recognizable and
unique in the world of musical theatre.

When asked I frequently cite Sweeney as my favorite musical, although it sort of occupies a
short list along with Gypsy, South Pacific and Oklahoma.

I can't think of a Sondheim show that I'm not a fan of - some, of course, stronger than
others, but ALL with wonderful songs - e.g., "Anyone Can Whistle," anyone?

p.