Subject: Re: Verdi's Macbeth
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Nov 2017 09:01:53 -0500

For those who care but do not know, "wrong language" performances such as
the Pinza "Boris Godunov" were common through the first half of the last
century.  The first U.S. performances of  "Boris Godunov" at the Met in 1913
under Toscanini were in Italian, with Adam ("Adamo") Didur, Louise Homer,
and Paul Althouse.  Didur and Althouse have left recorded souvenirs (in
Italian) of those performances: from Didur the "Monologo" (rec. Pathe c.
1916) and "Morte di Boris" (rec. Pathe 1920), and by Althouse the
Marina-Dmitri duet, with Margarete Arndt-Ober (rec. Victor Co., 1915).  A
late friend, Kurtz Myers (1913-2004) told me that one of his earliest
memories was of seeing in a record store in the early 1920s a near-lifesize
(and I believe he said free-standing) image of Didur as Boris, holding
sceptre and orb, crowned, resplendent in his golden robes, as an
advertisement for his Pathe records.

There was also a 1928 Covent Garden performance of "Boris" with Chaliapin
singing in Russian, while everyone else sang an Italian text, one reviewer
commenting about how the Italians (Irene Minghini-Cattaneo as Marina, Dino
Borgioli as Dmitri) really let rip in the Marina-Dmitri duet.