Subject: Operatic Transcriptions for Piano (was Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Nov 2017 14:00:21 -0400

Yes, if we expand the selections to non-operatic works, there is a great deal more "scary"
music.  For example, the Witches' Sabbath from Symphonie Fantastique, of which there is a
wonderful performance by Nikolai Petrov of the Liszt transcription:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1goIBdIfeV4

For another piano transcription scarier than any Halloween mask, I would nominate Vladimir
Horowitz's stunning arrangement of Liszt's transcription the Berlioz Rakoczy March from "Le
damnation de Faust," particularly the last minute or so when the piano sounds demon
possessed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYhUXXDmNP0

Incidentally, before the Usual Suspects start with the complaints about "off-topic" posts, "Le
damnation de Faust," from which the Rakoczy March is taken, has often been performed as
an opera, several years ago by the Met in the Lepage production.

And while I am on the subject of operatic transcriptions, here is a tremendous performance
(live at Carnegie Hall) by Jorge Bolet of Liszt's (non-scary except to the pianist)
transcription of the "Tannhauser" overture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVXHQx8TdH4

MDW