Subject: Operatic Transcriptions for Piano (was Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Nov 2017 14:00:21 -0400

Yes, if we expand the selections to non-operatic works, there is a great deal more "scary"
music.  For example, the Witches' Sabbath from Symphonie Fantastique, of which there is a
wonderful performance by Nikolai Petrov of the Liszt transcription:

For another piano transcription scarier than any Halloween mask, I would nominate Vladimir
Horowitz's stunning arrangement of Liszt's transcription the Berlioz Rakoczy March from "Le
damnation de Faust," particularly the last minute or so when the piano sounds demon

Incidentally, before the Usual Suspects start with the complaints about "off-topic" posts, "Le
damnation de Faust," from which the Rakoczy March is taken, has often been performed as
an opera, several years ago by the Met in the Lepage production.

And while I am on the subject of operatic transcriptions, here is a tremendous performance
(live at Carnegie Hall) by Jorge Bolet of Liszt's (non-scary except to the pianist)
transcription of the "Tannhauser" overture:

Modify your settings: