Subject: Re: restaurants near the san fran opera? recommendations solicited
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Nov 2017 18:11:13 -0700

We’re not fish eaters either.

Some that I go to:

Jardinière: right across the street, modern California, all high quality but a bit “gourmet” for my other half who sticks very much to plain, basic “American” food.

Little Gems: A block away on Grove. Hip, trendy, busy “small plates” place with good quality preparations. Very easy to put a good meal together out of their smaller portions.

Absinthe: Hayes and Gough; classic and good French bistro/brasserie menu

Chez Mama: across Gough from Absinthe; no reservations so all walk-in. Schizophrenic place: half French bistro, half Mexican cantina. All well done at reasonable prices.

Hayes St. Grill: promarily fish/seafood but always a couple of meat mains. Once one of the best; has gotten a bit tired but still good. Walls full of framed pics of opera stars (mostly from 80s and 90s).

Zuni Cafe: Really first class Mediterranean style food but a longer walk (on Market). Famous for their roast chicken for two but you need to order that before 5:30 to make a 7:30 curtain.

Espetus: Also on Market and a seriously Big Eat and somewhat pricey. Brazilian churrascuria with huge salad, warm food buffet and meat brought around on skewers fresh off the grill. A carnivore indulgence. Because of the way food is served, it’s actually reasonably easy to make sure you eat and get out on time.

For a 7:30 curtain I usually reserve at 6:00. I’ve never had a time problem.

There are lots of other places. These are the ones I know best.

I don’t think much of the buffet in the opera house.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone