Subject: Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Nov 2017 19:32:09 -0400

Folks, I give you Mr, Kane, our resident party pooper, lol.

Besides, we all know that in many places, Halloween (or, more properly, Hallowe'en,
which used to confuse me when I saw it spelled that way as a kid, lol) is a month-long
holiday, as decorations in some neighborhoods start going up on Oct 1st. On November
1st those decorations get replaced either with Thanksgiving-related designs, or
sometimes things go straight to Xmas decorations. Which often stay up well past New
Years. (Your neighborhood may vary, lol.)

Just as Christmas is really a holiday concocted from the pagan solstice celebrations
(according to modern wisdom, Jesus was probably born in the spring), all these fall
holidays are designed to give us some joy as the days get shorter and darker. And of
course all of them are good excuses to have fattening foods lol. (So is Hanukkah, where
fried foods are the tradition).

I say, let's celebrate. If Mr. Kane desires coal in his stocking, so be it. The rest of us can
spend our time having fun and listening to music that complements the season, as we
desire.

And speaking of which, Sweeney Todd is very relevant, not just for its macabre nature,
but also because the melody of the "Ballad of Sweeney Todd" is inspired by the gregorian
chant melody of the "Dies Irae," which is certainly appropriate on All Hallows Eve.