Subject: Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Nov 2017 17:24:36 -0400

It was, and like most of them, shouldn't have been,
because there's no such thing as an opera appropriate
to Halloween, a time span of about six hours, and I have
never heard of any opera in which it is observed or even
referred to.  The best "spooky music, IMO, is not to be
found in opera at all, but in rarely played any more
orchestral works like Franck's LE CHASSEUR MAUDIT,
Rachmaninoff's ISLE OF THE DEAD, Saint-Saens DANSE
MACABRE, and Liszt's  MEPHISTO WALTZ, or his
TODTENTANZ.  There are lots more, including in the
song repertoire as well.

Commercial interests have been trying to elevate the thing to
holiday status and a season of selling chintzy, costumes and
decorations, missing the only point it ever had: the sudden,
unexpected "boo"..  When I was a kid, (yes, I was) treats were
unheard of , except for those disgusting apples "bobbed", and
tricks played by naughty teen age boys resulted in pounds of
wasted flour, eggs, soap, and chalk.  The only real fun, and a
significant chore as well, was carving out a real oumpkin and
lighting the candle inside.. I'm not the least surprised at how
rarely that was ever done well, and still isn't.

Back on my own page,

dtmk