Subject: Re: Walkure
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Nov 2017 08:59:56 -0400

I listened last night, whilst watching a “silent” Game 7 of the World Series, but Wagner and
Chicago were pulling me hard.  The cast was pretty uniformly wonderful, but Christine
Goerke
and Eric Owens took (as it should be) the place of honor during Act III.  The Walkyries were
musical and thrilling – so often that most famous “Ride” of theirs can sound like a wobble
fest,
but not so last night.

The detailed nuances of Goerke’s Brunnhilde were amazing and one hears why she’s among
the most exciting singers or our time and perhaps the finest proponent of this role in years.
Owens’ rich, deep sound wraps around you (or at least me) like the warmest blanket in the
world and between the two of them, they ripped my heart out.  They repeatedly did so
throughout the greatest Father-Daughter scene in all of opera.  At “Leb wohl … “ Owens’
Wotan kept pouring out his anguish and it becoming unbearably beautiful for me.  I tried to
make it through without tears, but no such luck.

Maestro Davis led a beautifully paced performance from the massive forces and, well, one
can’t have asked for a better night – particularly on the radio.  I only wish I could have been
there in person.

Bravo Lyric Opera of Chicago . . . bravissimo!

p.