Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: MICHAEL HETSKO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Oct 2017 09:28:32 -0400

OK, here we go again.  Every new years when Opera L talks about booing, I trot out this:

I have been at the Met many times when booing occurred. I was there for the prima Tosca, the Sonnambula; both of which were vigorously booed.  The worst I ever saw was the prima Trovatore with Pavoratti, Sutherland, Livia Budai. sometime in the 1980’s    Miss Budai lost her nerve somewhere along the way and just butchered her role.  She was  booed loudly without mercy by very many in the audience who would have thrown rotten fruit at her if it was available.  Really bad.  Worst I have ever seen (heard). It was personal.   Pav rescued her at the end when he came out during a curtain call with her with his arms around her.  Then, of course, the production got booed seperately.