Subject: Re: Verdi's Macbeth
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Nov 2017 01:08:29 +0000

The Hongen Macbeth was 1943 from the Wiener Staatsoper under Bohm's
direction with Mathieu Ahlersmeyer in the title role. I have not heard
it either.

I am very fond of Modl's Lady Macbeth. I guess I share the "strange
fascination" with Italian opera performed in German, relishing both
Krauss's and Bohm's live performances of Die Hochzeit des Figaro.

My favorite "wrong language" recording is Boris Godunov with
Pinza--should be the least Italianate of operas, but Pinza's performance
is completely compelling.

Rich