Subject: Re: Verdi's Macbeth
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:33:56 -0400

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 15:53:39 -0400, Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>My favorite "Halloween opera."
>Which CDs or DVDs do you favor?
>I have a strange fascination with Modl live in Berlin, 1950, all singing in German ...
<skip for space> ... There's an earlier recording in German, I think a radio broadcast,
with Hongen as the Lady.

There is another version in German with Astrid Varnay as the Lady and Metternich as
Macbeth. There is also Varnay's Lady in Italian from the Florence Festival and Ivan
Petroff's phenomenal Macbeth, Gui conducting. While overall I prefer the Florence
MACBETH over the German broadcast, I also had a "strange fascination" (you chose
the right expression for my feelings as well) with this opera in German. Varnay is
even more effective as the Lady in German than Italian, though she was brilliant on
both occasions. There must be something in the music itself that makes it compatible
with the German language (to my surprise, I must say) though it's surely in the
Italian/Verdi idiom.

I really like the last Met production with Netrebko, Lucic, Pape, and Calleja on DVD.
There is also a great La Scala performance from the 70s, preserved on video from the
RAI TV broadcast, with Verrett, Cappuccilli, and Ghiaurov, under Abbado (no subtitles
 and I don't know if it's on DVD, but it's been on Youtube for many years). On studio
CD, I still hold on the old RCA recording with Rysanek, Warren, Hines, and Bergonzi.
Maria Callas was, of course, a spectacular Lady and everyone else was excellent on
that '52 live La Scala, which makes it my favorite live MACBETH on CD, along with
Verrett/Abbado from the same La Scala run as that 70s video.

Vesna