Subject: Verdi's Macbeth
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Oct 2017 15:53:39 -0400

My favorite "Halloween opera."

Which CDs or DVDs do you favor?

I have a strange fascination with Modl live in Berlin, 1950, all singing in German, a translation from the Italian, adapted at some points closely to Shakespeare. How multi-layered.

There's an earlier recording in German, I think a radio broadcast, with Hongen as the Lady. I have not heard it all, but Hongen seems miscast. She like Modl, ducks the high D flat in the Sleepwalking Scene, and both simplify some of the coloratura.

Mezzomaniac