Subject: Re: Music to Chill Your Blood By (was Halloween Operas)
From: Bruce Prentice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Oct 2017 19:10:41 +0000

Der Vampyr was mentioned and that was my pick as was Rich's.

But on Halloween I also love to listen to Bernard Herrmann's music film score for Psycho, which was scored for just the string sections, no woodwinds, brass or percussion.  The colors of the different string instruments are remarkable for variety, darkenss and equalling the mood of the film's plot.  Should have won him an Oscar but didn't.

Also other eerie favorites are Rachmaninoff's  "Isle of the Dead" and the ballet "Dracula" by Phillip Feeney