Subject: Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Oct 2017 14:46:13 -0400

Robert le Diable

Like Don Giovanni, Cherubini's Medea, and  Rossini's Armida the final scene
has a major character's descent to Hell - in this case Robert's demonic
father Bertram.  Then of course, there is that chorus line of dancing,
 dead, lascivious nuns only dispersed when Robert waves the magic branch of
Ste. Roselia - which incidentally also has the power to freeze frame the
action.

The Paris revival from 1985 with Samuel Ramey, June Anderson, and a
somewhat over parted, superannuated Alan Vanzo allows for a generally well
sung overview of the whole, but the power of the score really comes through
on the brilliant acoustic transfers put together by Ward Marston on Volume
1 of his "Meyerbeer on Record."

These samples are not Marston's but can be found on Youtube - A fearless
trill from Leon Escalais in Robert's Sicilienne, and Pol Plancon's
demonically elegant Nonnes qui Reposez finally a brief clip of writhing
nuns from the relatively recent Covent Garden revival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4uCjTq5RjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwehe3L6D1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwehe3L6D1g