Subject: Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Oct 2017 14:46:03 -0400

I take my holidays very literally, especially my least favorite one,
Halloween, which, by
definition extends from sundown the evening before All Souls Day, and ends
at midnight,
leaving not much time for any full length opera.  Moreover, creepiness
alone, an attribute
in which the world of opera abounds, does not, IMO, automatically make
stuff suitable
for All Hallows Eve, for that you need at the very least, some witches:
therefore, the
opera Verdi wrought from Shakespeare's Scottish play.  I missed the Met
staging, years
ago, that featured them flying through the air on broomsticks, but I
thought, "why not",
and have always regretted not going. The reviews were chilling. I think it
was during one
of the intermissions of the run that a patron fell or leaped to his death
from an upper tier.

dtmk