Subject: Re: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Oct 2017 14:45:31 -0400

A few other moments in Don Giovanni that are wonderfully eerie -

The genius music that depicts the Commendatore's death at the end of that opening trio
(after the singing) - the downward chromatic line that sounds like his life slipping away,
yet harmonized differently the 2nd time, leading seamlessly into the recitative, but never
resolving - as if to say that he may be dead, but he still has more to do...

The "Ah certo e l'ombra" section of the finale sextet. How Leporello's harried description
of the statue moment becomes suddenly ominous and spooky with the entrance of the
other voices, saying that that must have been the ghost they thought they saw as well.

Donna Anna, in the section where the masked trio first enters - the restless chromatic
strings playing under her as she leaps to high A's ("Il passo e periglioso" etc). This is not
one of those moments in the score that gets talked about much, but it always gives me
chills.

I will also nominate the "journey to Hell" section of Berlioz' Damnation Of Faust for its
amazing eerie colors. The unyielding ride of Mephisto's horses, with that spooky oboe solo
over it - the nasty low trombone attacks, the depictions of infernal birds flapping their
wings - Mephisto's joyous "hop! hop!"s to the horses, as Faust gets more and more
terrified...and then the arrival in Hell, which builds to that amazing choral bacchanale with
the infernal gibberish text ("diff diff" ans all that) - and then, as everything calms down,
that section that seems ironically like church chant, but so dark and ominous. (Followed,
of course, by the contrasting beautiful music of Marguerite's redemption.)

Diff diff, everyone!!! ;-)