Subject: Halloween: Operas to Chill Your Blood By
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Oct 2017 13:36:59 -0400

Unlikethe old days of the list, I don’t think I’ve seen much in the way of talking about
spooky or otherwise appropriate operas for Halloweentide.  I always like to change up my
listening at this time of year to add a bit of “horror” to my operatic listening and viewing list
and wonder what, if any, anyone else still finds themselves spending time with.

Always at or near the top for me is Britten’s “Turn of the Screw,” which seems to have
become more popular than ever over the past decade.  As often as I turn to it, it never fails
to give me the heebie jeebies.

Also right up there; Bartok’s Bluebeard’s Castle – which has one of the most atmospheric,
creepily beautiful scores in the entire canon.

Some other favorites include:

Prokofiev:  “The Fiery Angel”

Sondheim:  “Sweeney Todd”

Weber:  “Der Freischütz”

Strauss:  “Salome” – it doesn’t start out that way, but it sure creeps me out by the end!

Menotti:  “The Medium” and “Martin’s Lie” (those who don’t know the latter, really should!)

Picker:  “Dolores Claiborne”

Puccini:  “Il Tabarro”

Also up there is Debussy's two uncompleted horror operas "La chute de la maison Usher"
and "Le Diable dans le Beffroi" each based on a tale by Edgar Allen Poe.  It was Debussy's
hope that the two one acts would premiere at the Metropolitan Opera.  I smell a movie in
the works!  For anyone unfamiliar with these, here is an excerpt of the former with realized
orchestrations by Juan Allende Blin working from Debussy's manuscript.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdviZpvvfg

There are, of course, many more, but I’d like to hear what others are going for this time of
year!

p.