Subject: Re: Final Butterfly Chord (was Re: Booing at the Met)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 30 Oct 2017 13:09:02 -0400

Maybe we can compromise and call it "disCHordant" lol, as what it really is is the "wrong"
chord. ;-)

And yes, to your points - I think the reason we don't hear it in the same way we normally
hear a major chord is that it's not based from a major scale, rather that we are still firmly
in B minor, just that we're ending on 6 instead of 1. So it doesn't give the impression of
"major" in the same way as such a chord normally would.

And yes, a lesser composer (though surely not Loesser, lol, who also had a great sense of
how to use unexpected tonalities for dramatic effect) might indeed have just gone with a
B minor chord. Just as, in another example I've used out here before, Mozart sticks that
achingly beautiful Ab in the orchestral cadence to "Ach, Ich fuhl's" where normally we'd
expect an A. An A there would have given us a regular old minor scale passage - and on
one level, "dayenu" as we say on Passover (it would have been enough). But by going to
the flat 2 scale degree, Mozart creates a deeper level of melancholy, and a deeper level of
humanity.

I agree about the Verdi Requiem his use of major vs. minor is extraordinary. But oh, when
it goes minor, my god, it goes minor - that final huge climax in the "Libera Me" (before
the surprise of the soft major ending) is about as dramatically, thrillingly minor as it gets,
lol. And the opposite - the release of the joyous F major "Sanctus" and the peacefulness
of the C major "Agnus Dei" are surely as powerful as that ending moment, or the
melancholy, say, of the "Lacrimosa" melody, or the astounding a cappella return of the
opening music (which is mostly Bb minor, but ending in major).

Though I do have to say I've always wondered what was up with Rossini and that "Cujus
Amimam" in such a bouncy Ab major. Did he read the text, lol? ;-)

By the way, back to Butterfly - that Bb minor beginning to "Tu Tu" doesn't last very long.
Once we get to the "refrain" of that short aria we're very much in B minor (and natural
minor at that, with A as the 7th scale tone, not A#), and Bb minor has been forgotten. So
I don't entirely buy your point, but I do think we can all agree that the non-resolution of
B minor on that last chord is a major, brilliant surprise statement. I just happen to think it
can, and perhaps should be, a visually *dramatic* statement also, not simply a musical
one. Puccini was a dramatist, after all.

But oh, it's so much nicer to have this kind of conversation instead of the pearl-clutching
of "no, you can't DO that, the chord is too sacred" etc. As I said before - in the words of
Oscar and Felix on Password - "ridiculous." ;-)