Subject: Butterfly and THAT Chord (Was Re: Booing at the Met)
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:14:49 -0400

I remember a tremendous Butterfly (Faith Esham) where for the suicide, Cio Cio San went behind the shoji and we watched in silhouette, as she plunged the dagger into her throat.  She then pulled open the screen, crawling towards Pinkertonís voice, a beatific smile on her
face before slumping lifeless onto the top step of the house.  Kate and Sharpless looked on
in horror as Pinkerton rushed to turn her body over, only to have her lifeless corpse slide
further down the stairs, her long hair cascading around her face.  Then, just as that last
chord was hit, Pinkerton was propelled, violently, backwards, away from her as though hit
with actual physical force and the stage blacked out before we could see him hit the floor,
leaving him suspended in the air above her.  On its own it was a chilling bit of business.  Set
to THAT chord, it was absolutely devastating theatre.

p.

* * * * *