Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:30:08 +0100

Back in the 60 I saw the first performance of Die Soldaten in Munich. An
anti-military piece that makes Wozzeck look and sound like Bastien and
Bastienne. It is now hailed as a great masterpiece, but it was a whole
evening of everyone screaming 12 tone music at the very top of their
registers, and I suffered through every minute of it. At the end, the
stage was full of soldiers who marched to the front of the stage and
shot their rifles into the audience, symbolically killing us all. It was
enormously loud of course, but then followed by a dead silence, into
which the chap standing beside me (this was standing room) shouted, his
voice dripping with irony, "Da capo!"
  David Geary