Subject: Re: Dallas Samson and Dalila
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Oct 2017 19:22:18 -0400

The Vickers  / Gorr recording was one of my earliest "transformative" opera
experiences.  I've never seen it topped live though I heard Cossotto burn
up the stage in Cleveland on the MET tour, and Stephanie Blythe pour that
molten voice of hers all over it in Pittsburgh.  I caught Verrett too late
at the MET when the voice was riddled with drop outs...still "audible" on
Sirius.

I've always enjoyed the sex / redemption ratio in the opera - equivalent to
a C.B. DeMille epic - a generous helping of sin and lechery followed up by
quick and obligatory salvation at the end.  The Philistines go down in the
Grand Manner.