Subject: Re: Applauding mediocrity
From: Benjamin Rochefort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Oct 2017 17:37:02 -0400

Le 2017-10-28 à 15:41, Tom Frey a écrit :
> The cheering standing ovation has become a ritual with American audiences a=
> nd has no connection to the quality of the performance. Even at recitals it=
>  is becoming tradition. I don't know the ego of all singers, but I imagine =
> they accept all this clamor as adulation. What I have never  seen is booing=
>  at a recital, vocal or instrumental. I've never witnessed booing at an orc=
> hestral concert or a theatrical play  or musical play . It seems to have on=
> ly invaded opera. Maybe it harken back to the paid clich=C3=A9s who booed r=
> ival singers in Europe. Americans seem to act like sheep and need to be par=
> t of the action like the fans at sport events.

I have witnessed booing at a recital, at the end of Schubert's Winterreise sung by Jessye Norman at the Châtelet in 2001.  Just one guy, who seemed very displeased with her (to him at least, I didn't notice anything wrong) off-pitch singing.

As for standing ovations for absolutely everything, I agree that they're annoying, and they seem to occur everywhere now, not only at the opera.  Here in Montreal, you will also witness them at the theater, at recitals, stand-up comedy shows, rock concerts...

--
Benjamin Rochefort
http://benwen.info