Subject: Samson and Dalila
From: Konrad Kuchenbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Oct 2017 17:07:00 -0500

My first Samson and Dalila was in November 1962 at the Chicago Lyric with Rita Gorr.  Jon Vickers cancelled and we got Han Kart [sp?].  Yes it is not a great opera, but it has some great moments.   I also remember the young Placido Domingo singing it in Milwaukee with Jean Madeira in 1965 (?).    There was also Chicago’s production from the 80s which was shared with San Francisco.  The collapse of the temple was spectacular.  This production is available on DVD.  Have always thought Saint-Saens to be a bit underrated.

Konrad

Milwaukee, WI