Subject: Re: Opera as “A Fist in Your Face”
From: Charles Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:29:44 -0400

"This unbelievable quote reinforces my long-held belief that many opera directors (and their
“teams”) active today privately hate and despise opera and do their level best to ridicule it."

I don't know if they hate and despise opera so much as they hate and despise opera
audiences who, even in Europe, are generally far more conservative in taste than the
directors themselves.  Epatay-ing The Bourgeoisie has always been a badge of honor, really a
raison d'etre, among the Regie crowd.

Incidentally, why isn't that remark being criticized by The Usual Suspects for encouraging
violence?  lndeed, specifically violence against women, as probably half of the audience is
female?  Why are our Speech Guardians giving a pass to talk about giving women a fist in the
face?

Charlie