Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:10:46 -0400

    Hi, Y'all!
    I have grappled with the issue outlined below as well.  One solution I have tried with a couple of truly awful productions in a couple of different houses as a way to boo SPECIFICALLY THE PRODUCTION and NOT THE SINGERS, and to try to make that point clearly understood, is to boo immediately after the curtain has come down after the final notes of the opera, but before it has opened again to reveal any bowing singers.  Usually, there are a few seconds in there when the curtain remains down and NO LIVE PERSON is there to receive my disapproval by mistake.  I believe that this procedure makes my point clear, especially when I abruptly shut up the second the curtain opens again with singers on stage taking bows.  I seriously doubt that anybody really cares, but at least my two cents' worth got in.
    If applause is considered an appropriate response to a performance, booing is appropriate also when it is called for.  When "green eggs and ham" are served, saying "I do not like them, Sam-I-Am" is a perfectly legitimate reply.  Silence is actually a cop-out.
    Best regards,
    Dennis Ryan