Subject: Opera as “A Fist in Your Face”
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Oct 2017 15:59:50 -0400

Dear Listers,

I just finished reading in «The New York Times» an article by Zachary Woolfe
entitled «“La Bohème”: Should Opera’s Most Beloved Classic Be Changed?»
(See
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/arts/music/la-boheme-puccini-opera-metropolitan-london-paris.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&amp;clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below)

The article contains the following passage that I find absolutely horrifying
and that really got my dander up:

«[O]n Dec. 1, the Paris Opera will unveil Claus Guth’s provocative staging
[of “La Bohème”], set a century from now. [ * * * ]  The coming Paris
production, the details of which are being closely kept, will not be nearly
so indulgent of audience expectations. “The second the curtain opens, you
have a fist in your face,” Mr. Guth, the director, said in a phone interview.»

This unbelievable quote reinforces my long-held belief that many opera
directors (and their “teams”) active today privately hate and despise opera
and do their level best to ridicule it.

I, for one, do not pay $200 for a seat at the Opera to get punched in the face.

Mr. Guth should be surprised if an irate audience member, after seeing his
production, punches *him* in the face and knocks out all his teeth.  It
would be well deserved.

It sounds as though Mr. Guth is trying very hard to give a whole new meaning
to the word “eurotrash.”

I hope he and his production get booed so loud and hard that his eardrums burst.

For the record, I liked the pictures of the new London production that
appear in the article, so I am not “a priori” hostile to innovative,
non-traditional productions.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort