Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Oct 2017 15:18:57 -0400

Paul Padillo wrote:

"The most recent booing incident I can recall was during the prima of the new
"Rosenkavalier" this season.  I was listening on Sirius and was STUNNED by the sound of
what seemed to be an angry mob!"

I saw that production and, while I would not have booed the performance because it was a
wonderful one, I certainly understand why the production was booed at the end.  All that
"Impending WWI" tripe was awful, particularly the final tableau with the menacing advancing
armies, incongruously accompanied by the sprightly, cheeky music Strauss wrote for the
Marschallin's Page pantomime in another opera of the same name.

MDW