Subject: Re: Follie per l'opera (Mad about opera)
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2017 23:00:33 -0500

Back during the 50s there was a movie theatre in an Italian neighborhood on Chicago’s west side that showed films of this genre. Always lots of fun - and I believe most of them are available on DVD. Gobbi made more than 2 dozen films, some strictly dramatic with no singing. According to what he said in his biography he was conflicted early on whether to be an opera singer or a movie actor.

I believe those were the days when I decided I want to come back as an Italian in my next incarnation…

Kurt Youngmann

> On Oct 21, 2017, at 7:10 PM, Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I just had the best time watching this screwball comedy about Italian opera
> starring Bechi who sings Largo al factotum and the Toreador song, Gigli
> who sings the courtroom aria from Andrea Chenier, Gobbi who does Si Puo
> from Pagliacci, Caniglia doing Casta Diva, Schipa doing an Italian folk song
> etc.
> If you want to have an hour and a half of fun, laughs and absolutely
> gorgeous singing from the best, find it at Netflix or your favorite place and
> enjoy!

Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them. - Adlai Stevenson II