Subject: Re: Dallas Samson and Dalila
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Oct 2017 17:45:09 -0400

I tend to think that when (in general) it's music one likes, it's a "masterpiece," and when
it's not, it's "lousy circus music" lol.

I can't say I really dislike "Samson" - there's a lot of music in it to like - though I agree
that by no means is it the most exciting or compelling opera ever written. And it does
have its oratorio-like patches, which often make it a better listening experience than a
visual one. And not a lot goes on in terms of dramatic intrigue or insight - it's essentially
"boy sees girl, boy gets haircut, boy brings the house down" lol.

But, I also think that as seductive melodies go, you really can't get much better than the
refrain of "Mon coeur s'ouvre  ta voix" - those chromatic downward scales and then the
sequence of rising phrases after it - pure magic. If perhaps Saint-Saens wasn't the
world's most savvy operatic dramatist overall, he definitely got it right in that moment.