Subject: Re: Applauding mediocrity
From: Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:35:23 -0400

The cheering standing ovation has become a ritual with American audiences and has no connection to the quality of the performance. Even at recitals it is becoming tradition. I don't know the ego of all singers, but I imagine they accept all this clamor as adulation. What I have never  seen is booing at a recital, vocal or instrumental. I've never witnessed booing at an orchestral concert or a theatrical play  or musical play . It seems to have only invaded opera. Maybe it harken back to the paid clich├ęs who booed rival singers in Europe. Americans seem to act like sheep and need to be part of the action like the fans at sport events.