Subject: Booing at the Met
From: Ghozel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:10:48 -0400

I understand that we Americans find booing distasteful, but there have been instances where I feel it was surely warranted.

The forcing of the horrendous soprano Alexandra  Deshorties on the MET audiences was such an instance.  I understand he was a favorite of Levine, which got her on that stage. Her publicity machine was pushing her full-force.  In her interviews she seemed so full of herself.

Intrigued, I went to see her perform Elektra in Idomeneo.  She claimed she was wonderful in it, and audiences loved her.  I was utterly dumbfounded when I heard her sing the role like she was a student still learning in conservatory.  It was that awful--no sense of coloratura, of character, of rhythm.  It was one of the few time I was actually angry at the MET for its casting choice.  I didn't have the guts to boo, but she deserved it.

Thinking that it might have just been an off-night, I decided to see her perform in yet another role (for the life of me I can't remember what it was).  It was after yet another dismal performance, that I vowed to never waste any time seeing her sing again.

I did however see her perform one last time, in her single greatest role--Andromache in the MET's spectacular Les Troyans.  The role is mute, and she was a natural.

Even the MET figured out audiences disliked her because I don't think she has appeared there since.  I pity any other audience that has to hear her caterwauling passed off as operatic singing.