Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 28 Oct 2017 15:08:12 +0300

Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I don't boo. I would rather simply not applaud.

In such cases, wouldn't it be grand if most of the audience shared your
opinion? I mean, the 'silent treatment' could be a very effective
statement; decidedly 'faint praise'. Alas, it's never going to happen
because in any given audience nowadays it seems that there is a sizeable
component who are desperately keen to instantly jump to their feet in
exuberation at the end of even a mediocre performance.

I think the right of a dissatisfied patron who feels compelled to boo is
certainly no less than that of these clowns who regardless of quality
just have to give the standing ovation (thereby blocking the view of the
curtain call to everyone seated behind them -- unless, of course, we
also stand, &c., vicious circle).

Premature applause, before the last strains of the music have died out?
I don't like that either but a lot of times the staging invites it on
itself exactly by starting to close the curtain too soon. When the
singing/music stops, there should be a blackout first, then the curtain
moves.