Subject: Response to Bob Rideout's post
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:45:13 -0700

Bob wrote:

Date:    Fri, 27 Oct 2017 21:54:17 +0000
From:    Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Booing!

There are no objective standards that might determine when it is
"ok" to boo, but there are are, as well, no objective standards to
tell us when it is "ok" to applaud. As long as people have the right
to express approval through applause, confetti, floral displays and,
it is equally their right to express their disapproval by whistles (Italy
especially) booing or.....

Buying a ticket does not carry with it any responsibility to like what
one has seen, and in fact, there is, in my mind, a real responsibiliy
to let those who are looking for your love when they take curain calls
know that, at least at this moment, you don't. The singers will still
deposit those checks!

There is nothing vulgar about it!

It's called democracy, and both in the theater and in life, democracy
is very pricey these days.

Bob

My response:

Bravo.

As for "premature" applause, the most thrilling live performance recordings
I know are those where audience members are so genuinely carried away by a
performance that they applaud right after the singer concludes, rather than
waiting for the big orchestral follow-through. In many a cabaletta, for
example, vigorous applause can serve the same function as the orchestral
postlude, which is to cap the vocal line. That doesn't mean that I don't
want to kill the queens who screamed loudly the second Beverly Sills
finished her exquisite "L'ora fatal s'appressa... Giusto ciel! In tal
periglio" at her La Scala debut in The Siege of Corinth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZDewBRt4Q

jason
---
Jason Victor Serinus http://www.jasonserinus.com     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA